Thursday, August 26, 2010

Log lines

As I mentioned last time around, I was rushed to write the first draft of the "Being" pilot because I expected nothing to come out of my initial query submission. Now that I'm getting ready to start circulating the pitch again, it occurs to me I probably need to think beyond the pilot to future episodes.

The original query included log lines for potential episodes. Log lines are simply mini-synopses of plots, usually with hooks. For example, the log line for the proposed second episode was this:

Joseph finally tests the dating waters, but when he fails to come home one night, Jasmine presumes the worst and practically puts out an APB on his whereabouts, leading Joseph to look for other housing options.

Of course, having good ideas for shows is one thing. Being able to develop them into full-blown scripts is another. Considering the time from idea conception to completing the most recent draft, the pilot episode of "Being" took about a year and a half to develop, so there's no evidence that I can produce another script, let alone within a short deadline. This means I need to start working on at least another full teleplay, as well as treatments or outlines for several more episodes.

Aside from the practical need to have more material ready at request and proof my pilot wasn't just a fluke, developing further episodes serves another purpose: to test the strength of the characters as real, living, breathing people, not just objects created to serve the plot. If the characters don't speak to me, if their actions and motivations don't come naturally and feel convincing, then there's no point in even continuing down this treacherous road.

Thankfully, I do have those loglines with which to work. I have a starting point. And I have characters inside my head, telling me they want to find love, attain success and maybe eat a bottomless stack of pancakes. All I have to do is listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment